How to Make Walnut and Basil Pesto Pasta in Under 30 Minutes
Hey there, pasta lovers! Are you in the mood for a delicious and easy-to-make meal that’s bursting with flavor? Then you’ve got to try this walnut and basil pesto pasta recipe. It’s the perfect combination of fresh, vibrant basil and rich, nutty walnuts, all blended together with creamy parmesan cheese and olive oil. This recipe is super simple to whip up, making it the perfect weeknight dinner option when you’re short on time.
This walnut and basil pesto pasta is not only delicious, but it’s also packed with nutrients. Walnuts are a great source of healthy fats and protein, while basil is rich in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties. Plus, the dish is topped off with some freshly grated parmesan cheese, adding a boost of calcium and flavor. It’s a perfect combination of flavors and nutrients that will leave you feeling satisfied and energized.
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking for a delicious and healthy pasta dish, this walnut and basil pesto pasta recipe is sure to impress. So, gather your ingredients and get ready to enjoy a meal that’s both tasty and nutritious.
What is Walnut and Basil Pesto Pasta?
Walnut and basil pesto pasta is a classic Italian dish that is loved for its fresh and vibrant flavors. The pesto sauce is made with fresh basil leaves, garlic, walnuts, parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, and olive oil. The addition of walnuts gives the sauce a rich and nutty flavor, while the basil adds a fresh and herbaceous taste. The garlic and parmesan cheese add depth and richness to the sauce, while the salt and pepper balance out the flavors.
When the pesto sauce is tossed with the pasta, every bite is filled with the creamy and nutty flavor of the sauce, which perfectly coats each strand of pasta. The dish is not only delicious, but it’s also quite light and refreshing, making it a perfect meal for warm weather. Overall, walnut and basil pesto pasta is a delicious and satisfying meal that’s perfect for any occasion. So, grab your apron and let’s get cooking!
Ingredients needed to make Walnut and Basil pesto Pasta
- 1 pound of pasta
- 2 cups of fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup of walnuts
- 1/2 cup of grated parmesan cheese
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
How to make Walnut and Basil Pesto Pasta
- Start by boiling a large pot of salted water for the pasta. Once the water is boiling, add the pasta and cook it according to the instructions on the package until it’s al dente.
- While the pasta is cooking, make the pesto. In a food processor, add the basil leaves, walnuts, parmesan cheese, garlic, salt, and black pepper. Pulse the mixture a few times until everything is well combined.
- While the food processor is running, slowly pour in the olive oil until the pesto is smooth and creamy. If you prefer a thinner consistency, you can add more olive oil.
- Once the pasta is cooked, drain it and return it to the pot. Add the pesto to the pot and stir everything together until the pasta is coated evenly.
- Serve the walnut and basil pesto pasta immediately, garnished with extra parmesan cheese and some fresh basil leaves.
This recipe is easy to customize to your taste, so feel free to experiment with different types of pasta or add some additional ingredients, like cherry tomatoes or grilled chicken. With its delicious flavor and easy preparation, this walnut and basil pesto pasta is sure to become a favorite in your recipe collection. Enjoy!
Tips and Tricks
Here are a few tips and tricks to help you make the perfect walnut and basil pesto pasta:
- Use fresh and high-quality ingredients. The flavor of this dish depends heavily on the freshness and quality of the ingredients, so make sure to use fresh basil leaves, good quality olive oil, and freshly grated parmesan cheese.
- Toast the walnuts before making the pesto. Toasting the walnuts brings out their nutty flavor and adds a nice depth to the pesto sauce. To toast the walnuts, simply spread them out on a baking sheet and bake in a preheated oven at 350°F for 5-7 minutes.
- Reserve some pasta water. Before draining the pasta, reserve about 1/2 cup of the cooking water. You can use this starchy water to thin out the pesto sauce if it’s too thick, or to add some extra flavor and creaminess to the dish.
- Don’t overcook the pasta. Cook the pasta until it’s al dente, which means it should still have a bit of bite to it. Overcooked pasta can become mushy and lose its texture, which can affect the overall taste and presentation of the dish.
- Adjust the seasoning to your taste. The amount of salt, pepper, and garlic used in this recipe is just a guideline. Feel free to adjust the seasoning to your liking, adding more or less garlic, salt, or pepper as needed.
By following these tips and tricks, you can create a delicious and satisfying walnut and basil pesto pasta that’s sure to impress your family and friends.
Here are some frequently asked questions (FAQs) about walnut and basil pesto pasta:
Can I make this dish ahead of time?
Can I use a different type of nut instead of walnuts?
Can I freeze the pesto sauce?
Can I use a different type of pasta?
Can I make this dish vegan?
Try Other Pasta Recipe:
White sauce pasta with caramelized broccoli
Walnut and Basil Pesto Pasta
- 1 pound pasta
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3 cloves of garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Cook the pasta according to package instructions until al dente.
- While the pasta is cooking, prepare the pesto sauce. In a food processor, combine the basil, walnuts, parmesan cheese, garlic, and olive oil. Process until smooth.
- Season the pesto sauce with salt and pepper to taste.
- Drain the cooked pasta, reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking water.
- Toss the pasta with the pesto sauce, adding reserved cooking water as needed to thin out the sauce.
- Serve with extra parmesan cheese and chopped walnuts, if desired.
- Enjoy your delicious and easy-to-make walnut and basil pesto pasta!