How to Make Crispy Sweet Chili Chicken: A Delicious and Easy Recipe
Do you ever find yourself craving something spicy, sweet, and crispy all at the same time? Look no further than this easy crispy sweet chili chicken recipe! Made with crispy fried chicken and a spicy Chinese honey sauce, this dish will satisfy all your cravings in just 30 minutes.
What’s even better? This recipe uses simple, basic ingredients that are all readily available at your local store. You don’t need to spend a fortune or wait for delivery – you can make this restaurant-quality meal in the comfort of your own home.
Not only is this dish delicious, but it’s also a healthier option than ordering takeout. You won’t have to deal with that post-takeout sluggishness, and you’ll still get all the bold, savory flavors of your favorite Asian cuisine.
Crispy sweet chili chicken also known as Chinese fried chicken is a delicious dish made from bite-sized pieces of chicken that are coated in a crispy batter and served with a sweet and spicy chili sauce. This dish is often served as an appetizer at restaurants or as a main course at home. It is a popular choice for those who love the combination of sweet and spicy flavors and crave the satisfying crunch of fried chicken. Overall, crispy sweet chili chicken is a delicious and easy-to-make dish that is sure to be a crowd-pleaser.
The dish has become increasingly popular in recent years and can now be found in many restaurants and fast-food chains around the world. It is believed to have originated in Asia, where sweet chili sauce is a common condiment. The sauce is made from a combination of chili peppers, vinegar, sugar, and garlic, giving it a sweet and tangy flavor that complements the crispy chicken.
Over time, the dish has evolved and become a popular menu item in many Asian-inspired restaurants around the world. Today, it is often served as an appetizer or main course and can be found in a variety of different styles, from traditional Asian-inspired dishes to more modern, fusion-style cuisine.
One reason for the popularity of crispy sweet chili chicken is its versatility. The dish can be made with a variety of different cuts of chicken, from wings to thighs, and can be served with a range of different sides and dipping sauces. This makes it a popular choice for both casual and more formal dining occasions.
In recent years, crispy sweet chili chicken has also become a popular fast-food item, with many fast-food chains adding the dish to their menus. This has helped to bring the dish to a wider audience and make it more accessible to people around the world.
Overall, crispy sweet chili chicken is a delicious and flavorful dish with a rich history and a bright future. Whether enjoyed as an appetizer, main course, or fast-food item, it is sure to be a hit with anyone who loves bold flavors and crispy, crunchy textures. Serve this crispy sweet chili chicken over rice or noodles, and don’t forget to drizzle on some extra sauce for maximum flavor.
Ingredients needed to make Crispy Sweet Chili Chicken
- 1-pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1/2 cup sweet chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2-3 red chili pepper, chopped.
How to make Crispy Sweet Chili Chicken
To make this delicious crispy chicken recipe, you’ll need a few simple ingredients and a little bit of time. Start by preparing your ingredients in two separate shallow bowls: one bowl with a mixture of cornstarch, salt, and black pepper, and another bowl with beaten eggs.
Next, take each piece of chicken and dip it first in the cornstarch mixture, ensuring that it’s fully coated. Then, dip it in the beaten eggs, making sure to shake off any excess egg mixture before proceeding to the next step. Again, dip it in cornstarch mixture and coat well.
Once your chicken is coated, it’s time to fry it up! Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add about 1/2 inch of vegetable oil to the pan. Carefully add the chicken to the skillet, making sure not to overcrowd the pan. Cook each piece of chicken for 3-4 minutes per side or until it’s golden brown and crispy.
Once the chicken is cooked, remove it from the skillet and place it on a paper towel-lined plate to drain off any excess oil. While the chicken is resting, it’s time to make the sweet chili sauce. Combine sweet chili sauce, honey, soy sauce, rice vinegar, garlic powder, onion powder, and red pepper flakes (if using), red chili pepper in a small saucepan. Heat the sauce over low heat, stirring occasionally, until it’s warmed through and well combined.
Finally, it’s time to serve! Arrange the crispy chicken on a platter and serve with the sweet chili sauce for dipping. This dish is perfect as an appetizer or as a main course, and it’s sure to please your family or guests with its delicious flavor and crispy texture.
Tips and Tricks:
- Use a meat thermometer to ensure that the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F (74°C).
- If you’re having trouble getting the chicken crispy, try using a wire rack to allow air to circulate around the chicken while it cooks.
- Experiment with different coatings for the chicken, such as panko breadcrumbs or crushed cornflakes, for a different texture and flavor.
- Don’t overcrowd the pan when frying the chicken, as this will cause the temperature of the oil to drop and result in soggy chicken.
- To make the sweet chili sauce spicier, add more red pepper flakes or a few dashes of hot sauce.
Can I use boneless chicken thighs instead of chicken breast?
Yes, boneless chicken thighs can also be used for this recipe. Just make sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly, as they may take a bit longer to cook than chicken breasts.
Can I make the sweet chili sauce in advance?
Yes, the sweet chili sauce can be made in advance and stored in the refrigerator for up to a week. Just reheat it in a small saucepan over low heat before serving.
Can I use a different type of oil for frying the chicken?
Yes, you can use a different type of oil such as canola oil, peanut oil, or vegetable oil. Just make sure to choose an oil with a high smoke point to prevent it from burning while frying.
Can I bake the chicken instead of frying it?
Yes, you can bake the chicken instead of frying it. Just coat the chicken in the cornstarch mixture and egg mixture as directed, then place it on a greased baking sheet and bake at 400°F (205°C) for 20-25 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and crispy.
Can I make this recipe gluten-free?
Yes, you can make this recipe gluten-free by using a gluten-free cornstarch and replacing the breadcrumbs with a gluten-free option, such as crushed gluten-free crackers or gluten-free cornflakes.
Crispy Sweet Chili Chicken
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2-1 cup cornstarch
- salt and pepper to taste
- oil for frying
- 2 well beaten eggs
- 1/2 cup sweet chili sauce
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1/4 tsp garlic and onion powder
- red pepper flakes (optional)
- chopped red chili pepper
- In a shallow bowl, mix together the cornstarch, salt, and black pepper. In another shallow bowl, beat the eggs.
- Dip each piece of chicken in the cornstarch mixture, then the beaten eggs, shaking off any excess egg mixture. Again, dip in cornstarch mixture.
- Heat about 1/2 inch of vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken to the skillet, being careful not to overcrowd the pan. Cook the chicken for 3-4 minutes per side, or until golden brown and crispy.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet and place it on a paper towel-lined plate to drain off any excess oil.
- In a small saucepan, combine the sweet chili sauce, honey, soy sauce, rice vinegar, garlic powder, onion powder, and red pepper flakes (if using) and red chili pepper. Heat the sauce over low heat, stirring occasionally, until warmed through.
- Serve the crispy chicken with the sweet chili sauce for dipping.
Try These Other Popular Recipes
White sauce pasta with caramelized broccoli
Fried donuts with chocolate glaze